Friday, February 20, 2009

Friday Five-rrific

1. Resurrecting my Twitter account was the best thing I did this week! Also the most time-consuming (you can endlessly go from one followers' list to the next). I am addicted to following literary agents and experienced/aspiring writers ... it's really quite a lot of fun. I mean, who knew you could learn so much from just 140-character snippets? Or be so entertained?

2. What happens when I discover someone new on Twitter? I find their blog, too! I am now following 60 stupendous (people should really use this word more) blogs and my brain likes gobbling up all that literary information! Please don't 'splode, brain. Soak it up!

3. The last query I sent was ... January 12th. I'm waiting to ... (be still my heart) ... hear from Firebrand before I start the query process again (hopefully ... I won't have to ... gah! crosses fingers and toes). In the meantime, I'm all about contests! There are the super fun mini-ones like: MSFV's Secret Agent and The Swivet's haiku query challenge. Even though they're small contests, the prizes are fabulous: like query and manuscript critiques! Then there are the big ones like ABNA - March 16th is when the field is narrowed from 10,000 to 500!

And finally ... for #4 and #5, I leave you with two funnies:

A writer died and was given the option of going to heaven or hell. She decided to check out each place first. As the writer descended into the fiery pits, she saw row upon row of writers chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they were repeatedly whipped with thorny lashes.

"Oh my," said the writer. "Let me see heaven now."

A few moments later, as she ascended into heaven, she saw rows of writers, chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they, too, were whipped with thorny lashes."Wait a minute," said the writer. "This is just as bad as hell!"

"Oh no, it's not," replied an unseen voice. "Here, your work gets published."

and Jackson Pearce's Book-A-Minute video on Twilight.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: