Sunday, January 11, 2015

Cocola Bakery - San Jose

3/5 stars

THE FOOD: Pastries are either a sorta-hit or complete miss. I like their mille-feuille with fresh strawberries (also known as a napoleon). I've also tried their fruit mousse cakes and they're average, at best. If I was ranking just Cocola's pastries and coffee/tea, I would just give this place a 2 BUT they get an extra star because of their turkey sandwiches which my friends and I like to call "orgasmic." It's like Thanksgiving in your mouth. The bread is fresh-baked, the turkey is juicy, the cranberries sweet n' tart, and the whole wonderful thing is topped with layers of BRIE. It also comes with a very light, simple salad - shredded carrots with Italian dressing. I like piling the carrots on the top of the sandwich - ok, that may sound weird, but it's delicious. You know what else is delicious? Brie. Mmm... brie...

THE ATMOSPHERE: It's Santana Row. If you live in the Bay Area, that's all I really need to say, but if you don't, let me paint you a little picture: Burberry, Gucci, and closet-sized stores (where selling just one pair of shoes will pay for their obscene rent) line the fake, perfectly manicured streets. Women with dogs in plaid purses walk under studios where the rent is $2500+ a month. It's a little "stick your nose straight up in the air" but... ... at least the restaurants are good...

(2007)

No comments: