Monday, December 28, 2015

MacArthur Place Hotel - Sonoma

4/5 stars

One of the perks of travelling in January is the off-season prices. I really wanted to celebrate the bf and I's 4-year-milestone with a SPA DAY and after cruising through Yelp, I found MacArthur Place and it fit the bill - in wine-country, affordable room, and affordable spa!

The rooms were clean and open. Breakfast, bikes, and movies are all included. The gardens were well-kept and I can imagine using them (and the pool) a lot more if it was sunny out. The wine and cheese reception was small, but a nice compliment.

Included with the room were two coupons to use at the SPA. We each got $25 off for a full-body massage. The locker rooms are nice, clean, quiet and adjacent to the sauna. Robes, slippers (note: the slippers were PAINFUL, I'd bring your own flip-flops), and pitchers of fresh-orange-water are all provided. We were able to get our massages side by side in a large, clean, dimly lit couple's room and the nice lady let me smell all the oils before selecting. I went with the rose oil and it was very lovely. We both got female masseuses and they did a great job - I even fell asleep for a little bit.

Favorites: the white robes they provided and the really, really wonderful grape-seed soaps and shampoos. Seriously, I have stayed in A LOT of hotels and MacArthur Place's bath soaps now rank as my all-time favorite.

Complaints: The shower was too small - I felt cramped - and I'm only 5'2". Also, the room was perhaps a tad too simple and unexciting for the price-tag. And, we told them we were celebrating an anniversary, but alas, no wine/champagne bottle in the room. That would've been nice.

(2009)

No comments: