Monday, December 28, 2015

Ravenswood Winery - Sonoma

5/5 stars

UPDATE :)

I had such a wonderful time Saturday, Jan 17th that I came back with friends on Saturday, Jan 24th! I don't think I could've asked for a better way to celebrate my birthday - 3 wonderful friends, 7 wineries, 30+ tastings!

I wanted to come back because I wanted my friend to try their Moscato - which has quickly become my favorite wine of all-time. Unfortunately, Phil wasn't there and our tasting didn't get waived even though we bought 4 bottles of wine (3 of Moscato Leggero and 1 Gerwurtz). We still had a warm welcome - Tanya, the owner, even wrote me a thank you message on Yelp!

She said that on Valentine's Day, they're releasing their Zinfandel Suite - a small production Port-style dessert wine - and matching it with truffles made from Ravenswood zin! Sounds yummy!

***

ATMOSPHERE: Homey ...

WINES: I've heard that the Ravenswood wine you can get at the supermarket isn't special - next time, I'll have to try the $10 tasting and let you know. The bf and I tried the $15 premium stuff which you can only get at the winery itself or online. $15 is a lot to pay for a tasting compared to other Sonoma wineries but Phil, who poured for us, was a fantastic guy. He not only waived the fee, but also let us try a handful of $80+ bottles that weren't on the list (and still threw in a free wine glass). Everything was outstanding. I very happily came home with their Moscato Leggero. Really excited to toast Obama with it tomorrow during his inauguration!

POURER: For this special anniversary trip, I think Roshambo won for atmosphere, but Ravenswood won for wines and service. Phil was the best you could ask for - jolly, friendly, knowledgeable, kind, funny, laid-back, and just a sweetheart. I hope I get the pleasure of drinking with him again.

GOODIES: Phil

(2009)

No comments: