- half a box of cooked pasta
- my favorite brand is Barilla -- I think it stays al dente the best
- I like to use shells or macaroni-shaped
- a whole sweet onion - sliced
- about 1/3 cup of ketchup (if it's too dry, add more)
- 1.5 - 2 cups of diced ham (depending on how meaty you want it)
- optional: a pinch of sugar (to balance the ketchup if you want)
Boil a pot of water. Add a couple dashes of salt. When the water is bubbling, add the pasta. Cook until just al dente (about 7 minutes). You don't want to cook the pasta all the way through at this stage.
Slice a whole sweet onion. A lot of onion is the key here. Add some olive oil/ butter or combo of both into a pan. Saute the onion until they're brown (medium heat)
When the pasta is done, add the noodles to the pot with the onions. Add the ham and ketchup and combine.
Serve in deep bowls and a glass of ice cold milk.