Sunday, January 3, 2016

Bertucelli’s La Villa - San Jose

5/5 stars


I watch a lot a lot of DDD on the Food Network and Guy goes to an Italian deli every now and then. Every time he does, I want whatever he's nomming: raviolis made with fresh pasta, sandwiches wrapped in paper, and homemade, generations-old marinara sauce.

La Villa delivers all that and MORE.

The more? A killer, rich, heavy, awe-inspiring lasagna. Definitely the best lasagna I've ever had. I also had a solid sandwich piled high with salami and prosciutto on a sweet roll. It wasn't warmed, but it was still really good.

The ravs (raviolis as they're endearingly called) don't disappoint either. The balance of meat + spinach + spices is out of this world and even after a day in the fridge, the pillow-y pastas still had chew. Love love love the consistency of fresh (non-soggy) pasta. The marinara sauce was sooooooooo good. It defines what homemade marinara sauce is supposed to taste like.

This post dedicated to my co-worker who took me on an "Italian field trip" to this little gem of a deli. And to her dad whom she flies lasagna to every Christmas.

(2012)

No comments: