Monday, January 4, 2016

Gaonnuri - New York, NY

4/5 stars

I was a bit worried that Gaonnuri was going to be all view and no substance. But it wasn't! Yes, the view was amazing (how could it not be from the 39th floor), but the food was pretty good too. It's fancy-Korean, which I've never had before, but it was delicious and that's what matters. And there was a TON of it. Seriously a lot of food.

1. crispy fried calamari tossed in a sweet n' spicy sticky honey wine go-chu-jang sauce
2. super tasty jap chae with beef
3. dumplings
4. galbi with caramelized onions
5. incredibly buttery broiled black cod in deonjang sauce (this was the group favorite)


By now, you're probably wondering how I could possibly eat anything else. I was wondering that too. But somehow, I was able to find room for sticky rice & spicy kimchi stew with pork, tofu & vegetables. It was fun dipping spoonful after spoonful of rice into the tasty, flavorful broth.

I didn't have room for dessert, but I did try their Korean pear margarita but it was waaay too sweet.

Thank goodness we walked back to the High line after that. I was still full the next morning!

(2015)

No comments: