Monday, January 4, 2016

The Porch Restaurant and Bar - Sacramento

4/5 stars

A fatty's playground :)

My in-laws and I started our Christmas together here. It was a warm, cozy, fried & boozy affair.

IN A MOUTHFUL: Tasty fried chicken + fabulous punch bowls served in pretty, crystal punch bowls. It's my kind of combination.

To start, we ordered the fried green tomatoes with, as if it needed it, strips of applewood bacon. Talk about gluttonous.

I got the buttermilk fried free range chicken with the cauliflower and mashed potatoes and gravy. The gravy was excellent. The cauliflower almost stole the show. The accompanying buttermilk biscuit topped with sugar was unusual, but delicious. It was even MORE delicious when smothered with the honey butter. I'm glad I don't have that butter at home. I'd weigh a lot more.


The sister-in-law and I shared both the punches:

TEXAS 2-STEP
Cayenne infused rum, Marie Brizard Peach liquere, lemon juice, sweet tea, sprite

WHISKEY SOUR PUNCH
Four Roses Yellow Label, Fruit Lab Hibiscus liquere, sweet & sour, pineapple juice, Sierra Mist

They were both very good. So good that I replicated the whiskey sour punch for Christmas dinner.

I'll definitely come back when I'm passing through Sac.

(2015)

No comments: