Monday, January 4, 2016

The Rotunda - San Francisco

4/5 stars


I am a sucker for tea sandwiches. I could eat, like, a hundred of them. The problem is, you're never given a hundred :)

The ladies and I had reservations at 1:15 PM, but weren't seated until 2 PM. Usually I'd be annoyed, but this worked out for the best. We got an excellent table by the window overlooking the Christmas tree and the skating rink. Fills you with Christmas joy.

We started with drinks. I settled on a glass of the elegant, layered Moët et Chandon Brut Impérial, Epernay NV. All afternoon teas must start with bubbles IMO.

Before tea service, we were served a simple, yet delicious chicken consommé that warmed the soul and a hot popover with strawberry butter. That butter was one of the best parts of the tea service.

Next, came the three-tiered tray! Slightly salty scones that I used to spoon lemon curd into my mouth. Grapes, honeydew, and the piece de resistance: the tea sandwiches.

At The Rotunda, they're pretty good. My favorite was the roast beef + horseradish on rye. There was also an egg salad with bacon, the classic cucumber and cream cheese, and a chicken salad. There were also these tasty prosciutto roll-ups with walnuts. I usually don't like walnuts in things, but it went well with the thinly-sliced ham.

Desserts were average. The best ones were the fruit tart and the chocolate whoopie pie.

Our server Nick was lovely and the stained glass ceiling was even lovelier with the light shining through it.

This was definitely a treat.

(2015)

No comments: