Thursday, January 22, 2015

Sugar Butter Flour - Sunnyvale

2.999/5 stars

It was a short visit with my mom. I had an appointment, but wanted to stop by to see what all the fuss was about. Was in and out in less than 10 minutes.

ATMOSPHERE: Very clean, bright lil' shop. The girl who helped me was friendly. I think there were only 2 or 3 tables. One couple was doing a tasting for their wedding. They had a bunch of cake slices and a cupcake in front of them. It looked like fun!

On one wall, you'll find "Ace of Cakes"-like creations. A purse cake, a hamburger cake complete with fries... it was awesome!

My one concern was that everything looked so expensive! Desserts are about 5 bucks a pop and cakes are in the $20 to $30 range, just for a 6".

DESSERT: I don't know how I resisted the flourless raspberry jam thing, but I did! All I bought were two cupcakes to sample: the red velvet (one of my favorite flavors) and the decadent looking chocolate cupcake with adorable pink spots on top. They were $2.50 each.

Once in the car, I dove right into the red velvet and even though I detest nuts of any kind in my food, the red velvet frosting was so yummy that I hardly noticed the walnuts - they perhaps even enhanced the flavor. Frosting was creamy, not whipped, overly sweet, or buttery and the cake was not dense or bitter due to the copious amounts of food coloring. The red velvet cake was better than Citizen Cupcake's in SF. However, it was pretty dry. It was probably a two or three day old cupcake. I bet it would've been a 5-star cupcake if it was fresh!

The chocolate cupcake was waaay better. Tasted fresh, was chewy, moist, airy, not too sweet - perfectly delicious. Usually, I need equal amounts of frosting + cake, but this chocolate cake was delicious even with only a scattering of pink frosting dots on top. Now THIS cupcake lives up to the Sugar Butter Flour hype.

IN A MOUTHFUL: I think I need to go back. Just to try that flourless raspberry jam cake thing. And a cookie. Giving only 3 stars because even though the chocolate cupcake was awesome, the red velvet was totally dry.

(2008)

No comments: