Thursday, January 22, 2015

Chavez Supermarket & Taqueria - Sunnyvale

5/5 stars

I'd totally shop here!! Everything looks so fresh and reasonably priced. The place's clean, too! But first, on to the amazing taqueria in the back corner of the supermarket!

BURRITO: was soo satisfying. It weighed like a whole pound and how could the meat be anything but fresh with the market's butcher a couple feet away? If you're a meat lover, this burrito is for you. The really friendly man behind the counter made me oh-so-gleeful when he unwrapped a whole new pan of fresh carnitas and chopped up a ginormous pile right before my eyes. The carnitas were melt-in-your-mouth tender and juicy, but a little on the salty side. Also, if you like fried, crunchy carnitas, these aren't the ones for you. Order the carne asada instead, I heard that it's a winner. My flour tortilla was steamed and not dry - a huuuge plus in my book. The super burrito comes with cool guacamole and sour cream, perfectly moist rice, a mixture of onions and cilantro, pico de gallo, mild green salsa, and jack cheese. I didn't know there was a refried beans choice, so my burrito was made with pintos. They weren't half bad though - not too dry, whole, wet beans. Ohh... and the horchata (Mexican drink made with almonds, rice, cinnamon, sugar and lime) here is the BEST I've ever had. Loaded with cinnamon... mmm!! For 7 bucks-ish, filled me up the whole day!

Chavez was the ONLY place opened New Year's day (I called 4 other Mexican restaurants). I tried the carne asada and chili verde burrito and they were both delicious. Carne asada was neither dry or fatty and the verde was soaked in a tantalizing, mild, tomatilla sauce. Rice was moist, refried beans were creamy, and service was sooo friendly and accomodating! This place rocks my burrito heart!

(2007)

No comments: