Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Slanted Door - San Francisco

3.5/5 stars

WHY I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT: Because my mama is Vietnamese. Because my mama made me good things to eat - homemade and from scratch. And because I ate the good things she made for me - for 25 years and counting.

THE ATMOSPHERE: I heart the ferry building and the chic, "clean, modern lines" restaurant that is the Slanted Door. It would have been way cooler if the door was actually slanted though. Service is quite nice as well.

THE FOOD: The crispy imperial rolls (with shrimp, pork, glass noodles, and peanuts) were, surprisngly, authentic. Did you notice how the eggroll's skin looked different than eggrolls you'd get at a fast food joint or at a Chinese restaurant? The difference is freshness. If you went to Vietnam, you'd get eggrolls like these.

The asparagus and crab soup was bland. The House Special Meyer Ranch shaking beef (cubed filet mignon with garlic, watercress, and organic red onions), catfish claypot, and spicy japanese eggplant (with green onions and coconut milk ) were all very tasty. I'd highly recommend the claypot. Portions were on the small side. Finally, the vanilla bean creme brulee was nothing special. I've had better.

IN A MOUTHFUL: I guess I expected more from such a renown Vietnamese restaurant in SF. It was solid (and expensive), but nothing spectacular.

(2007)

No comments: