Sunday, January 11, 2015

Uncle Frank’s BBQ & Catering - Sunnyvale (closed)

5/5 stars

SOME BACKGROUND INFO and ATMOSPHERE: I've been eating Uncle Frank's BBQ for about 3 years now. I followed his delicious brisket from his closet-sized restaurant in East Palo Alto to Mt. View. I even got a tour of his place in the back of Francesca's when his grand opening got delayed. 

Thank Heaven for Uncle Frank. He's a big, friendly man that does BBQ proud. Meat that's smoked for hours upon hours until it falls off the bone. Juicy, tender, flavorful. This place is a dive within a dive bar. It's definitely got character. And so do the people who work there. The cook will walk out of the kitchen just to talk to you. I adore the fiesty, sassy hostess/waitress and Uncle Frank himself will shake your hand and talk to you as if he's known you for years. They're real nice folks. And the food, Mmm Mmm!! No wonder I found it in Sunset Magazine's Best BBQ in the West edition. THE

FOOD: The BBQ will make a grown man weak in the knees. Try the brisket and the ribs, they're my favorite. And the hot links. I haven't tried the fried fish yet, but I hear it's fantastic. The food is dirt cheap. The quality is exceptional and the quantity, all I can say is SHARE. You'll have MORE than enough. Order the cajun corn, baked beans, and potatoe salad as the sides - they know how to make it right. AND THE FRENCH FRIES ARE THE BEST HERE!

THE BAD: Only negative is that you can't take kids here because it's in a bar. Order to-go. Be careful though, sometimes they run out of food. That's because it's good and people eat it all.

(2007)

No comments: